Date Added: 01 October 2005
This is a wonder historic scene of the Cog "Koggensiegeln of Stralsund" (1329) sailing past the city of Elbing. Elbing is situated about 35 miles east of Danzig in the former German province of West Prussia near the Baltic Sea. From the thirteenth to fifteenth centuries the cog dominated trade between the Baltic and North Sea ports of the Hanseatic League. The Cog was found mostly between England and Bruges in the west and along the southern shore of the Baltic Sea as far as Elbing (now Elblag, Poland). This well crafted ship and diorama is made with great accuracy and detail. The ship's hull and fore and stern castles are painted in red with 15 gun ports painted on each side of the hull. A large rudder is clearly visible from the waterline to the main deck of the ship. A realistic and proportioned anchor is suspended from the bow. The deck is shown with individual planks and there are numerous deck features. On the deck is a windlass in the mid-deck area and another one in the bow of the ship. There is a very detailed life boat with seats and 2 oars showing. A staircase goes for the lower to the upper deck and there are 11 coils of white and black rope neatly placed in various positions on the decks. The forecastle is built similar to a castle. It is shown with individual planking and a small anchor is suspended from the side. The stern castle is also similar to a castle and is shaped like a trapezoid. There are two upright banners bearing the coat of arms from the City of Elbing. A single mast and yard extends from the center of the main deck. On the top is a red cross and below that a long banner with a cross flying from the wind direction. The mast has one large sail with a large red cross. The sail is made from cloth and is stitched around the perimeter and is bent to the yard with white thread sewn the entire length of the sail. The standing and running rigging is exceptional with wood pulleys placed at various points in the rigging. The City of Elbing is in background. Elbing used to be a German settlement for more than 700 years until nearly all of its inhabitants have been expelled by the Polish authorities. This scene shows the 2 Elbing Town Gates built 1314 and each has a banner with the symbols of the city, white and red reversed crosses. You also see the Marketplace tower and an unidentified church, perhaps that of St Nikolai parish church. There are 6 detailed and well painted houses scattered around the city. 3 have thatched roofs and the other 3 are wooden and painted red. All the buildings are highly detailed and painted with many unique features. The church for example has a wonderfully painted rose trellis over the vestibule. There are 25 trees scattered throughout the city. The bottle is sealed with a cork and affixed to that is a large carved wooden top. The cap has fluted carvings around the entire piece and in the center is a large shield with a carved double cross in offsetting red and white, replicating the crosses on the ship and stand and the symbol of the city of Elbing. The bottle rests on a wooden stand that is carved on the edges in a fluted pattern and has cross pieces that are "pegged" with wood dowels,. Attached to the cross piece is a plaque with the following wording: "Modell der Kogge auf dem Stadtsiegel von 1350." There is also a cross emblem with the word "Elbing" underneath. Znamierowski, 'The World Encyclopedia of Flags', 1999, shows several interesting flags of the Port Cities of northern Europe. These are derived from gonfanons, originally red in color. The flags, in a banner form, were flown from the stern of the vessels, the mast carrying the gonfanon of the colors. The flag of Elbing dates from the 14th century. This model was made by the same craftsman who made the model of the H.M.S. Bounty in record number 31.
|Category:||Sailing Ships||Made Where:||Germany|
|Bottle Size:||14" x 6.5"||Year Made:||1956|