Date Added: 08 December 2014
This amazing Brig in a bottle was built in 1960 by Jonny Reinert the "King of Bottleships." Jonny Reinert was several times in the Guinness Book of Records and recognized as the best Buddelschiffbauer in the world! This Brig has two masts built in three sections and eight sails. It flies an American flag. The sails have reef lines and are sown to the spars and yards. Two sails have large emblems in the center of each sail and there are two large banners atop each mast. The rigging is very detailed and accurate with both standing and running rigging and the use of blocks and tackle throughout the rigging. The ship has channels and all shrouds have ratlines even to the top of each mast. The bowsprit and dolphin striker are nicely rigged with netting on each side of the bowsprit. The hull has the word " Stuyvesant" on the bow and "New York" on the Stern. (Peter Stuyvesant, c.?1612 to August 1672, known as Petrus, served as the last Dutch Director-General of the colony of New Netherland from 1647 until it was ceded provisionally to the English in 1664, after which it was renamed New York.) There are ten guns with five guns on one side displayed with open gun ports and the five on the other side shown with closed gun ports. Between each gun pot are two different square symbols. One symbol is orange with three fleur-de-lis on each. The other is black with looks to be three lions in gold painted on each. A large anchor hangs from the bow on each side. The masthead is a upper half torso of a bare-breasted woman with long flowing blond hair. There is a wonderfully detailed quarter gallery on each side of the amazing sterncastle. Ship's lanterns are above each gallery. The deck has wooden railing around all sides. On deck is a winch, ships helm with two wheels, cabin, grate, and a davit with a lifeboat on the stern. In addition to the ship, there is a large lighthouse on a cliff. The lighthouse is the Roter Sand in the North Sea, in the Weser estuary. It entered service in 1885. It is an outbound range, guiding ships leaving the Weser. It is located 930 m (0.6 mi) northwest of the front light and is accessible only by boat.The lighthouse is red and white and there are three large turrets at the top. A lifeboat is suspended from davits near the edge of the rocks. The lighthouse is wired with a switch attached to the outside of the stopper. The battery has "Made in Germany" and also "RULAG, LCN, Type RL4 Battery." Inside the bottle and under the sea is a paper with the following information: "Jonny Reinert, Kunstgewerblicher Modellschiffsbau, Hamburg 4, Hopfenstr. 32, Ruf 31 47 23." The bottle is sealed with a cork and sealing wax. Peter Stuyvesant was a major figure in the early history of New York City. New York, or New Amsterdam, was originally a Dutch colony under the control of the Dutch West India Company, but by 1664 as many as half of the residents were not Dutch, the second largest group being the English. They came for religious freedom, better farmland, or to trade because New Amsterdam was such a rich port. The word Yankee, according to H.L. Mencken, originated in the Dutch of New York, deriving from Jan - kees, meaning John Cheese, which had been a Hollander nickname in Flanders and Germany. The English used it to identify Dutch freebooters and in this sense it became familiar in New York. The New York Dutch applied it to the English settlers in Connecticut, who were regarded at the time as putting business ahead of morals. As time went on, the term was in general use to designate a disliked neighbor to the north. England coveted the Dutch colony. Not only was it a rich prize in itself, and in possession of England's chief trading opponent, but it separated the two English colonies in Massachusetts Bay and Virginia. In 1664 England sent a powerful fleet into New Amsterdam and seized the colony. The pragmatic Dutch gave up without a shot being fired. Note the star shaped fort at the southern end of the island. This was Fort Amsterdam, the original Dutch fortification. The fort was renamed several times by the English; as Fort James, Fort William, Fort Anne and Fort George, honoring different monarchs. The British built up the wharves on the eastern side of the island, expanded the shoreline and achieved what the Dutch had not been able to do, turn the city into a highly profitable port of trade. By 1750 New York City was a busy port containing some twelve thousand residents and more than five hundred vessels, great and small. However, it was a great deal smaller than it is today, and only the third largest city in the colonies, after Philadelphia and Boston. Everything north of what is now the City Hall area was forest and outside city limits. The northern end of the town was defended by a wooden wall. It had blockhouses on the shore corners and bastions along the wall. This defensive line became a paved lane called Wall street when the British dismantled the wall in 1699. In the same year a new City Hall was built where Broad street ended at Wall Street, across from the Trinity church. Broadway was the major thoroughfare, passing by the old Dutch fort. Broad street, the next major road, had originally had a canal down its middle to allow cargo to be brought further into the city. The British filled this in 1676 creating an especially wide street, earning it its name.
|Type:||Brig with Lighthouse in Bottle||Maker's Name:||Reinert, Jonny|
|Category:||Sailing Ships||Made Where:||Hamburg, Germany|
|Bottle Size:||10 1/4" x 5 1/4"||Year Made:||1960|
|Bottle Type:||Laboratory Bottle|